Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Literature Analysis #1

1. The main plot of this book is in the town called Crestmont. This books plot also takes place in the school, houses, rooms, and hangout spots of Hannah Baker's classmates.

2. The theme of this book is basically about a girl named Hannah Baker who committed suicide. What Hannah does before she dies is make thirteen tapes to send to the classmates that were the reasons of her death or why she killed herself. After her death the tapes are sent out to the first kid and if this kid does not hand the tapes to the next person in the list of the people who were the reasons of her death she says that she will have a way to leak all the tapes out to the town and everyone will know what they did.

 3. When I hear the author's tone i think of sadness. I can imagine and visualize that the first thing she does when she wakes up is immediately think to herself why she is alive. I can imagine her not eating and always trying to look her best because she cares about what other people think of her. Excerpts that make me imagine this are, " I know what you are all thinking Hannah Baker is a slut, I heard so many stories that I don't know which one is the most popular, but I do know which is the least popular, the truth," also when she says, " I needed a change, just like they said so i changed my appearance, the only thing I still had control over," and lastly i think that she does these things because she says, " suicide it's something I've been thinking about, not too seriously but I have been thinking about it."

 4. These are 5 Literary Techniques that I found with excerpts:

 Personification:
1. " My stomach squeezes in on itself"
2. " I tear the blades of grass out of the gutter and stand up to leave"
3. " Warm air rushes out to grab me"

 Simile:
1. " The spot of paint flakes off like a scab"
2. " My breath stopped like I've been sucker punched in the stomach"
3. " I felt my head continue to nod as if it was attached to a heavy spring"

 Imagery:
1. " I scrambled for the stereo, hitting several buttons all at once"
2. " A line of hot sweat rises along my hairline, Alex Standoll it's your turn, a single bead of sweat slides down my temple and I wipe it away"
3. " That tiny scar you've all seen above my eyebrow, that's the shape of Jessica's fingernail... which i plucked out myself"

 Hyperbole:
1. " The world around me tilts and spins"
2. " It sounded like something she'd said a million times before"
3. " But if I was right, their eyes would glaze over, like they were a million miles away"

 Onomatopoeia:
1. " Cha-ching! went the register"
2. " Tap, Tap, Knock, Knock Tyler, I hear it, she taps on the window twice"

No comments:

Post a Comment